Flowers, parks, fire pits, and walking tours.
Plus, there’s help when you need it…here’s the 211!
// The Good News //
You may have noticed, tucked in shaded or wooded areas, these little plants have started blooming – they’re called Hellebores or Lenten Roses. We’re more than halfway through Winter and these little beauties are brightening up our day! They do well in water if you wanted to put some in a vase. Native to Greece and Turkey, they grow quite well here in Greensboro. These little evergreen plants spread by dropping their seeds in the fall, or can be dug up and divided if you wanted to give one to a friend – which is good news because they can run $18-25 per plant!
// Did You Know? //
When you need help, the United Way of North Carolina is making it easier for you to find it. With its newly established 2-1-1 service you have just one number to call to speak with a live person that can direct you to resources that can get you or a loved one the help you need. Times are tough and we may find ourselves in situations we wouldn’t have expected. Dial 2-1-1 to:
- Locate a food pantry near you.
- Find the nearest shelter if you need a safe place to sleep at night.
- Access counseling services and emotional support hotlines.
- Receive accurate and vetted information during disasters when there is information overload.
- Find rent assistance programs when you’re struggling to pay your rent.
- Locate places in your community to volunteer or make a donation.
- Find utility assistance to help with the electric and water bills.
- Understand eligibility requirements for government assistance.
- Find services for senior citizens, including transportation and housing.
- Discover after school & educational opportunities for your child or dependent.
- Find services for veterans and military families.
// Local Flavor //
Summerfield Farms is more than just a source of locally grown, 100% grassfed beef. And it’s more than a beautiful event space for your barn-themed party. It’s also a really cool outdoor space for hanging out in the evenings. Their Well Truck serves beer, wine, and delicious mixed drinks, and a rotating caravan of food trucks every Wednesday through Sunday help get you out of making dinner. There’s lots of open space for socially distanced fun in the great outdoors, with multiple fire pits to keep you warm!
// Spaces //
You never know what you might find when you head out on one of Greensboro’s trails. These colorful rocks were spotted on the trail in Guilford Woods near the Underground Railroad Tree.
There’s turf grass at the LoFi park at Joymongers! Just a couple weeks ago, it was nothing but dirt. Now it’s a super green spot for hanging with friends and enjoying a tasty beverage! There’s still a few rough edges, but the park is ready for action, even after a hard rain!
// Things to Do //
This coffee cup sculpture is one of seven in the downtown area called the Coffee Cup Collaborative and you can experience them all on a 1.2 mile self-guided walking tour on the GPSMyCity app. You can create your own tour on the app, too…what kind of tour would you create for Greensboro?
// Parting Shot //
Want to see more? Subscribe here for CoolGreensboro’s weekly newsletter. We hope you like it. If you do, please forward to a friend! Know something interesting about Greensboro that we should share? Email us here.
Disclosure: Some links in this post may be affiliate links for which we will earn a small commission if you buy something. It doesn’t change the price you pay, and it helps support this newsletter. Thanks!